Code of Conduct
The Cambridge YMCA is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all of our members and guests. To ensure safety and comfort for all, we ask individuals to act appropriately at all times while they are in our facility or while they are participating in YMCA programs.
We expect persons using the YMCA to behave in a mature and responsible way and respect the rights and dignity of others. Our Code of Conduct does not permit language or action that can hurt or frighten another person or falls below a generally accepted standard of conduct. Specifically this includes:
- Angry and/or vulgar language including swearing, name-calling and shouting.
- Wearing inappropriate attire. Attire must include swimsuits only in the pool area; sneakers, shorts and shirt or leotard in other areas of the facility. Clothing with vulgar or profane writing or pictures is not allowed.
- Harassment or intimidation with words, gestures or body language. Behavior which is inappropriate, threatening or offensive in nature.
- Members and guests are asked to refrain from using a cell phone camera or any other camera while in the YMCA unless you are photographing an approved YMCA event or competition. Cameras of any kind in the locker rooms, restrooms, saunas, steam rooms, Child Care, and shower areas are strictly prohibited.
- No sleeping on the premises.
- Children over the age of 3 years are not permitted in Locker Rooms.
- Children under the age of 13 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Physical contact with another person in any angry, threatening or unwanted way.
- Any demonstration of sexual activity or sexual contact with another person.
- Stealing or behavior which results in destruction of property.
- Carrying or concealing any weapons or devices that may be used as a weapon.
- The sale, possession, distribution, or use of any illegal substance (including alcohol & marijuana) by an individual on Y property is prohibited and will constitute grounds for immediate termination and possible prosecution.
- All YMCA facilities and grounds offer a smoke free environment.
The YMCA reserves the right to deny access or membership to any person who has been accused or convicted of any crime involving sexual abuse, is or has been a registered sex offender.
Members are encouraged to be responsible for their personal conduct and safety and to ask any person whose behavior threatens their personal comfort to refrain. Staff are trained and expected to respond to any reported violation of our Code of Conduct. Please don’t hesitate to notify a staff person if you need assistance.
The YMCA management will investigate all reported incidents. Suspension or termination of YMCA membership privileges may result from any violation of the Code of Conduct.